Thursday, February 4, 2010

Project Smile

With a heavy heart I write this. I have a friend that I went to college with and Dan grew up with in MI. She has three girls and her youngest, Bethany, at 16 months of age was diagnosed with Stage 4 High Risk Neuroblastoma. She is younger than my boys.

I have been receiving updates via her Facebook prayer page, and CarePages. Her most recent scans this week shows now the cancer over her entire skeleton. They are having to look at pediatric hospice for this little angel of a girl.

As a mom, I can not imagine having to deal with this whole process. My heart aches for that family with every update I see. However their love and faith in our Lord has truly kept them going. Every day when I think of this family, I go to the Lord in prayer asking for his guidance and peace for them. I want to help in any way I can, as I think we all feel!

A few weeks back a few of you might have remembered getting a note from me asking you to help with Project Smile. It is a simple process. Innendate Bethany and her sisters with mail! If you could PLEASE send something, just ONCE! More often, if you can. A recent message from Amy tells about the smiles that her girls get every day when checking the mail. They have at least 50 pieces of mail a day and read each and every one of them. The local Police came out to meet Bethany and give her well wishes! Please think about taking a moment and sending her a card for Project Smile.

Sisters Katy & Audrey with Bethany

The gold ribbon represents Pediatric Cancer Awareness.

I have included the original Jan 16th email below from Amy about the kick off of Project Smile:
"Hello Friends, As you may or may not have heard, we got some pretty difficult news from Bethany's doctors this week. We have never been given a time frame on Bethany's life expectancy before, but this week the doctors gave us one. The chemo that she has been having has not been working. If this continues and nothing we try does damage to the cancer, than she may only have 2-4 months left. We have been waiting to get on a brand new clinical trial. If that one works, that may add another 2-4 months. What do you say or do when someone tells you that your child has only a few short months left in this world? How do you smile? How do you find the strength to even get out of bed? The only answer that I know is through JESUS! Our families heart has been so overwhelmed with sadness these last few days. It is only by the grace of God and His mercies that we have peace. We have to now focus on the happiness of Bethany. We do not want these next few months to be miserable on her. It brakes our heart to see her feeling sick and we want to do everything we can to brighten her spirit. So, I really feel the Lord placed an idea on my heart. Here it is: PROJECT: SMILE! We would like to brighten Bethany's day with a piece of mail from those who have been praying for her. So many people have asked me if there is anything they can do for her or our family and this would be a great idea. Help bring a smile on Bethany's face and not only her face, but her sisters and family member's faces. Send a card or postcard. She loves getting mail!! It doesn't have to be anything special. If you need an idea, she loves animals and in particular puppies. We really aren't asking for anything special, just a simple hello will do.

Our address is:
The Hagerman Family
1257 Leonard Ave.
Muskegon, MI 49442

We are so thankful for all of your prayers and love! May God bless each of your lives in such amazing ways!! Keep believing for that miracle!!
With much love, Amy"

You can find out more about Bethany by clicking here.

1 comment:

mom said...

Thank you for sharing ♥

Sent a card & I've added them to my prayer list too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Who's Peaking At My Blog??